Secundino (Cundo) Bermúdez (b. Havana, 1914-d. 2008, Miami): Bermúdez attended the Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes as well as the University of Havana, where he studied political science and economics. He was founding member of the Asociación de Pintores y Escultores de Cuba, created in 1949. A figurative painter and muralist, Bermúdez spent a year working in Mexico in the late 1930s and acknowledges the influence of the Mexican muralists in his early work. Bermúdez participated in countless solo and group exhibitions, beginning in 1942, when he showed his gouaches and water colors at the Havana Lyceum, and including galleries and museums in Chile, Guatemala, Haiti, Peru, Sweden, Venezuela and several cities in the United States.  He received the award “Homage to Picasso” from the Organization of American States. One of Bermúdez’s large ceramic murals was installed in the gardens of the OAS General Secretariat building in Washington, D.C. He was commissioned to create a glass mosaic mural, 27 feet by 40 feet, for the lobby of a studio theater that is part of Miami’s Adrienne Arsht Center. His work is in the permanent collection of the Miami-Dade Public Library. (Cintas for art, 1973-74)

Back to top